I looked at some of the language-learning sites on the Web 2.0 awards because I'm interested in improving my Spanish skills. I haven't played with the new service we subscribe to yet, so I thought I would check out what else was available. The disappointing thing about both Mango and Spanish Pod (#2 and #3 in the collaboration/document sharing category) is that they cost money. It's understandable, given that university courses cost thousands of dollars and programs like Rosetta Stone cost hundreds. In the tradition of web-based content, these services charge a continuous "membership" fee in order to access lessons and real-time communication with native experts. I declined to shell out any money at this time, but luckily both sites have free trials. Mango has a free lesson available without payment or registration as a demo, and SpanishPod requires registration but offers a week-long free trial. I only played around with Mango because I didn't want to register for anything right now.
I liked the Mango approach because it not only teaches you whole phrases at a time, it breaks down the phrase and explains the parts of the sentence, verb conjugations, etc... In the past when I have had the phrase-by-phrase instruction, the linguaphile in me was irked by lack of explanation about the parts of speech, etc... The other bonus to Mango is that it has native speakers pronouncing words and phrases for you from square one, and it invites you to pronounce them yourself. I imagine later in the lessons you are even invited to create and write your own sentences and phrases. The one thing I didn't like about the first lesson was the implication that languages translate word-for-word, because it asked me what the Spanish words for "how" and "are" and "you" were. I get that it was trying to get me to remember "Como esta usted?" (Sorry no accents, I don't know how to do them on this computer), but it's misleading because there are other conjugations of estar and usted isn't the only way to say "you" in Spanish. I think Mango would be a great approach for someone who already knows something, like me, but maybe not the best choice for someone who has no experience whatsoever witht he language they're learning. The really remarkable thing that I didn't have a chance to test out is the interaction with native speakers that the service offers. Mango also offers a wide range of language courses, so it might be more cost effective than SpanishPod if you are curious about multiple languages.
Sunday, December 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I agree that it is frustrating when sites require payment. I understand the idea that they have to pay their staff too, but I've become accustomed to sites with sponsers to pay for staff and other necessaries. Thank you for checking these sites out. I "need an update on my Spanish" too, since most it I learned in high school decades ago.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed your critique about Mango. I looked at it--only briefly, because of the subscription cost--but did try a trial bit of French and another language. I think you're right on with your comments about the language translating word-for-word. Even in high school we learned some words in French could only be approximated in short translation, with much more implied. And the idea that a language like Mandarin Chinese could be broken down word for word seems impossible. Still, it was interesting trying to speak it!
ReplyDelete