Friday, November 6, 2009

Lifelong Learning

For me the most difficult aspect of lifelong learning is shifting from passive to active. I obviously love reading and enjoy learning new things, but I find it difficult to motivate myself to practice a new skill or test my new knowledge. I always thrived in traditional classroom environments where I performed the activities and tests that my teacher arranged for me. It's difficult for me to accept the challenge of testing myself or creating "assignments" for myself. In that respect, NetTrek should be good for me. Even though I feel pretty comfortable with Web 2.0 tools, by following these assignments, I know I'll learn more than I would on my own.

With technology, I tend to learn something only at the point of need. Before I had a digital camera, I didn't have a need to share photos online. Before I started reading several blogs, I didn't have a need for an RSS reader (which I now use all the time to follow job postings). My hope for this program is that it will expose me to new tools that I wouldn't have found otherwise, or maybe tools similar to those I already use but better! I do want a new RSS reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment